Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dessert for four

It's true that at times I have proclaimed myself to be "the best cook in the world". I love cooking a restaurant-worthy dinner on the weekend - glass of wine in hand... music blaring... chatting away to Mr Couture and/or dinner guests... flamboyantly chopping, stirring, tasting and seasoning.... being the star of my very own couture cooking show...

But. This self-promoted title is limited to savory courses. When it's time to serve the dessert, my good friends know to expect store-bought luxury chocolate items. And these usually go down a treat.

I must have been feeling very adventurous when I offered to bring dessert to a friend's dinner party. And I didn't even start to panic until the morning of said dinner party when I was up at dawn googling a number of spectacular but impossible dessert options.

When it came time to unveil my much anticipated last course, there was a large degree of fanfare and gushing on my part as I assembled my bits and pieces in the kitchen and busily made room on the dinner table. I was proud of my efforts - a small step from chocolates on a plate; a large step towards making an actual dessert...

Chocolate fondue