Monday, March 7, 2011

Aldi – a sporting chance

After much encouraging from various people at work, I decided to give this Aldi thing a go. At first it seemed like a magical land where crazy cheap cereals sat next to mountain bikes and discount cheese next to tea towels. Sure it's set up weird, but I was on an adventure and I was prepared to expect the unexpected.
I felt like I was participating in an adventure sport and I set about trying to defend my neatly packed trolley. It all came undone at the check out, but I managed to salvage things on the pack-your-own-bags bench and left feeling like I’d saved hundreds. For days afterwards I was retelling the story to my friends, claiming that everything was “two dollars something”. It certainly seemed to be. I was happy and considered myself victorious in the Aldi battle; widely claiming to all who would listen that they “had to try it” and defending my cheap-skate position.
Then came the taste test. Throughout the week, each new strangely branded package got a review worthy of Gourmet Traveller. At first I thought everything was a hit (perhaps still rejoicing from the $2 something high), but as the week rolled on my muesli seemed more like chaff than oats. Even still, I’m excited about what the next shop will uncover and look forward to filling my trolley with all sorts of crazy items. In tracks of course J.